rachel

rachel

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Curlin to Stand at Stud in 2009

By The Associated Press

Curlin, reigning Horse of the Year, will be retired to stud in 2009.

Although connections have reportedly not ruled out running him again this year if an attractive prize was on offer at an "appropriate venue", the 4-year-old's racing career appears over.

Majority owner Jess Jackson said: "I am proud to announce that he will start a new career (as a stallion) in 2009 and contribute his soundness, stamina, durability and athleticism to the breed."

Trained by Steve Asmussen, the colt won 11 of his 16 races - seven of which were at the highest level - and became the first American horse to exceed $10 million in purses.

In an attempt to win his second consecutive Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), Curlin finished fourth to Raven's Pass at Santa Anita in October.

"I've been blessed to have him and to have seen him run over 20-some-odd months," Jackson told the New York Times. "I have such warm memories of him. I just don't see how it could get any better. I'm going to breed 20 or so of my very best mares to him, no matter where he stands. He's had a stellar racing career. I think he's one of the top 10 horses since 1900. How he rates versus others - it's not merely about statistics."

No comments:

Thoroughbred News | BloodHorse.com

AMAZON

SWAG BUCKS